Marines.Together We Served

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

O Baby, Obama!

This election campaign has really become more than a race for the White House. It has moved into a new arena, revealing the beliefs of the candidates that ought to be causing every single American to take note.

Did you hear the most recent verbal blunder uttered by Senator Barack Obama? (Well, actually it may not be the most recent by the time you read this.) “Look, I got two daughters — 9 years old and 6 years old,” he said. “I am going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby.”

The argument for abortion has now taken a new twist: Babies are now punishment!

This is absolutely remarkable! Here is a man who has two children that he and his wife were responsible for bringing into this world, and yet, depending on circumstances, they are either a blessing or a burden; either as a source of great pride or as a punishment. Is it possible that a child’s value is based upon some arbitrary human value system? Or is there a value standard by which all humans are measured?

As a Christian, I take seriously the insight and instruction found in the Bible. How interesting then, to see that children are always portrayed in high regard. Consider these verses: “Don't you see that children are GOD's best gift? The fruit of the womb his generous legacy? Like a warrior's fistful of arrows are the children of a vigorous youth. Oh, how blessed are you parents, with your quivers full of children!” (Psalm 127:3-5). “He (Jesus) put a child in the middle of the room. Then, cradling the little one in his arms, he said, ‘Whoever embraces one of these children as I do embraces me, and far more than me—God who sent me.’” (Mark 9:36-37). “Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.” (Proverbs 17:6). “The people brought children to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: ‘Don't push these children away. Don't ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in.’ Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them.” (Mark 10:13-16). “Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration—what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, the days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day.” (Psalm 139:13-16).

Like you, Senator, my wife and I have two daughters. We raised our girls in a Christian environment, teaching them to love the Lord with all their hearts; to worship and serve him all their days. We taught them biblical morals and values. Throughout their lives they have been loved and surrounded by Christian people in every church I have served. This was also true throughout our years in the military. Even with all that influence, we are creatures of free will. At age twenty-eight, our oldest informed us a year ago that she had become pregnant outside of marriage. This is certainly not the way we had anticipated having our first grandchild, neither was it the way our daughter had envisioned having her first child. But it never once entered our minds to not have this baby, and it never occurred to us that this baby would be anything but a blessing. We invited our daughter to move back home with us and have the baby here where we could help her through this challenging chapter in her life (I received her permission to share this with you).

The congregation I serve had a baby shower for Laura, practically outfitting her with everything she and the baby would need for months to come. They have not once wagged the finger of judgment or turned their backs on our daughter. That’s because they understand the grace of God.

The truth be told, this little four-month-old bundle of love has completely captured my heart. If having Alyssa Grace is punishment, you sure wouldn’t know it around our household! She has become the joy of our home.

You see, Senator, just because the law of the land says abortion is lawful doesn’t make it right. As humans we have devalued these priceless gifts from God, discarding them as so much protoplasm. We are each created by God. As the Creator, he reserves the right to determine the value of his creation. And he declared upon completing his creation that it was “very good.”

Our youngest daughter is married. She and her husband will be having their first child in a matter of days. Another granddaughter for us!

The blessings just keep on coming!

No comments: